Streamlined routines ☼ Health above all ☼ Time for fun
As beauty routines have streamlined, ballooned, and then streamlined once again, the blending of makeup and skin care has remained constant. Multi-tasking products have become the norm among consumers, whether they hop on the doughnut glaze nails trend or opt for a less-is-more attitude to their look. Overall, consumers are showing a growing interest in making sure their skin care benefits from their makeup -- and that means skin care claims entering a range of cosmetic categories. At the same time, Gen Z is embracing climate-proof beauty in the face of concerns over climate change and other environmental factors. Consumer data from Mintel and other sources show:
- "Skinimalism is in" as more consumers look to streamline their routines, and 76% of female makeup users looking to keep their makeup routine as fast as possible.
- "Consumers are interested in products that improve skin health." In the US, "57% of makeup users look for skin-benefiting ingredients while shopping for new cosmetics."
- 45% of US skincare users expect to protect their skin from the environment with their facial skincare routines, as Gen Z embraces "climate-proof beauty"Terms like "glowy" and "dewy" have dominated the skin care conversation on #BeautyTok and beyond, with "cloud skin" being the most recent iteration of the concept (which requires just a few key items to bring the look to life.)
- 46% of US adults who buy personal care products believe that skin health is a reflection of their overall health.
As makeup and skin care continue to blur, brands can win by staying firmly rooted in support of their consumers. This means supporting their skin care and skin health goals -- and backing serious skin care benefits that will turn one-time buyers into brand evangelists. Brands can support consumers' pathway to health by encouraging healthy habits that lead to healthier skin. Products that toe the line between fun and function can hit that sweet spot, injecting joy (and maybe even a little glam) into a daily health habit. Consider these ways brands can adapt to meet the market:
Support your consumers' health goals
Hybrid products offer consumers the opportunity to inject more health and more fun into their lives, with a product that pulls double-duty. Brands that embrace category-blurring through skin health cosmetics can offer their consumers a range of products that support their health and wellness goals through maximum benefits.
Deliver joy through your offering.
Terms like glowing, bronzing, shimmer, and radiant reveal how consumers are all about a healthy glow. Focus on the joy that many BPC customers get out of their makeup routines and bring fun to each stage of their color cosmetic routine.
Soft Glow SPF 50+, featuring award-winning and patented Kleair™ technology, is a featherweight serum that delivers true and lasting health benefits alongside the slightest hint at glam. Ideal for skinimalist consumers who want to get the most out of a multi-tasking beauty product, as well as maximalist consumers who want to glam up their SPF routine, Soft Glow is a versatile, hybrid skin health cosmetic that gives consumers tangible skin health benefits -- and something to rave about.
Kleair™ enabled claims:
- Patented velvety, featherweight serum is light enough for oily skin and an ideal texture for morning or all day use.
- Non-nano, mineral-based, broad- spectrum SPF 50+ sunscreen protects the skin from 98%+ of UV radiation
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals by over 85%
- Protects against blue light (HEVL)
- Boosts antioxidant activity by as much as 200%
Additional marketing claims available:
- Silicone-free technology and 100% non- nano mineral sunscreen actives contribute to clean and green product positioning
- 40-minute water resistance
- Contains antioxidants Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract and Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract and Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract and Tocopherol
- Non-nano, Chemical-sunscreen-active-free, Paraben-free, Alcohol-free, Fragrance-free, Cruelty-free