Redefined value ☼ Efficacy ☼ Skin health at center stage
The changes over the past five years, combined with a rapidly changing economy are leading consumers to look toward value, trading up or down as fits their lifestyle. At the same time, an increased focus on efficacy on a global -- and omnichannel -- basis has resulted in a preference toward proven ingredients. And above all, consumers are seeking skin health from a more holistic standpoint than ever, preferring general health-boosting benefits over targeted treatments. Consumer data from Mintel shows:
- The pandemic forced a shift in spending priorities and lifestyles, a theme reflected in Mintel's 2021 BPC Trend Beauty (Re)valued. As the next normal evolves and shoppers react to economic changes, continue to revisit what value means to consumers.
- The lipstick effect serves as a strong reminder that consumers will trade up and down depending on their own preferences, moods, habits, and needs.
- Across EMEA, APAC, and the Americas, efficacy remains of primary importance to consumers, 87% of female skincare users in China agree that skincare brands should invest more in enhancing effects, rather than advertising.
- 67% of female skincare users in the UK prefer products that improve overall skin health (e.g. barrier, microbiome) rather than ones that target specific issues (e.g. acne, wrinkles), aligning with Mintel Trend Total Wellbeing.
As consumers seek to redefine what is valuable to them, beauty routines can get a shakeup. "The modern prioritization of skin health and product claims challenges this idea [that women are more cautious when buying beauty products for at-home use], positioning facial skincare as an essential item. The lipstick effect serves as a strong reminder that consumers will trade up and down depending on their own preferences, moods, habits and needs," says Mintel. Consider these ways brands can adapt to meet the market:
Give consumers a glow for now, and one for the road.
There's an opportunity to add value to your customers' skin care and self-care routines with a highly efficacious SPF-and-more product that promotes long-term glow while also offering the immediate gratification that comes with a luxurious skin care product. "Healthy-looking, balanced and evenly toned skin will continue to be a pinnacle goal for skincare shoppers of all ages as physical appearance remains a major indicator of overall health, status and wellbeing. Explore opportunities within varying market demographics to offer true relief with efficacious products that promise to do as little harm as possible to the planet," says Mintel in The Future of Facial Skincare: 2023.
Tap into the four Pillars of Value.
Identified by Mintel as Quality, Convenience, Budget, and Premium, brands have an opportunity to offer consumers the ability to do more with less with the addition of an efficacious product that adds value to their routine.
Natural Glow Face oil SPF 40+ is an air-weight, low-viscosity serum that blurs fine lines while delivering a luxurious veil of protection in a water-free oil format. Award-winning and patented Kleair™ technology delivers uniquely transparent, broad-spectrum, mineral-based sun protection, while Bloom™ adds to this claim set with blue light protection. Natural Glow Face oil SPF 40+ is the winner of the Cosmopack North America Award for Formulation in 2023.
Kleair™ enabled claims:
- Air-weight, low-viscosity facial oil delivers a flawless finish on all skin tones
- Non-nano, mineral-based, broad-spectrum SPF 40+ sunscreen protects the skin from 97%+ of UV radiation
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals by over 85%
- *If added* a super-powered anti-oxidant complex works in synergy with Kleair™ to boost anti-oxidant activity by as much as 200%
Bloom™ enabled claims:
- Blocks more than 43% of HEV (blue) light
- Plant-based rutin gives a synergistic boost to UV performance and free radical fighting in the skin, while delivering a subtle tint
Additional marketing claims available:
- Silicone-free technology and 100% non-nano mineral sunscreen actives contribute to clean and green product positioning
- Line blurring delivers an instant anti-aging effect to skin
- Jojoba esters deliver moisturization while sustainably produced and naturally-derived squalane (>10%) provides natural moisturization and anti-aging benefits while contributing to eco-conscious branding
- Paraben-free, water-free, fragrance-free, chemical-sunscreen-active-free, and cruelty-free