Protect & progress ☼ The makeup-skincare connection ☼ Better SPF
Today’s super health-aware consumers are setting aside under-performing, so-called multi-functional cc creams in favor of cosmetics that will call on skin care to do some heavy lifting. Along with this shift comes the desire to protect against environmental aggressors — something backed by derms and other skin care professionals tauting the benefits of a high SPF product. To meet demand, CC creams have to go beyond correcting imperfections with a wash of color to improve skin texture over time and offer immediate benefits, like protection against UV and screens. And if CC creams boast green ingredients — like botanical extracts — that’s even better. Consumer trend data from Mintel shows:
- Consumers seeking a dewy finish are all about skin health: “Skin hydration benefits are established in the APAC cosmetics market overall, and especially in foundation and lip colour."
- Skin care claims are an "important quality" in face makeup: Hydration claims "appeal to the 57% of female users of face base makeup products in China who agree that skin benefits (e.g. moisturisation, anti-ageing) are the most important qualities of face makeup.”
- Products have the opportunity to wow with enhanced protection claims: “Create products that provide multiple benefits that protect against UV and visible light while also making skin healthier with beauty-enhancing benefits (eg moisturizing, anti-ageing),” says Mintel.
- Color cosmetics and skin care continue to blend, leaving an opportunity for brands to educate and communicate: "brands that are able to speak to consumers about the connection between skin changes and facial cosmetic choices will gain consumer trust.”
Consumers don’t want to choose between health & beauty and they are more knowledgeable than ever. Mintel's 2020 report states: "Now is the time for brands to assess their current sunscreen ranges and lead the mineral sunscreen product offering.” A new generation of moisturizers and CC creams can boast added anti-oxidants, workhorse ingredients that protect and improve skin health, and a light, zoom-friendly tint that matches their complexion. Consider these ways that brands can adapt to meet the market:
- Be essential.
Brands have to hit the right claims. "Consumers are increasingly expecting their BPC products to help streamline their routines, creating demand for both hybrid and multipurpose products,” notes Mintel. At the same time, “skin fasting and “skip care” trends align with macro consumer movements toward minimalism due to growing environmental concerns.”
- Protect and prevent.
SPF is a must-have for health and beauty. Mintel's May 2020 report on Facial Skincare and Anti-Aging notes: “As consumers become more aware about the impacts of sun damage, both aesthetically (e.g. wrinkle causing) and health-wise, adding sun protection claims on top of other benefits, such as moisturizing, helps bolster appeal while also streamlining routines."
One & Done's tone correction and total protection make it a high-efficacy complexion product that works double-time to enhance both health and beauty. Lightweight and non greasy, this nutrient-rich, multi-purpose product evens skin tone naturally while moisturizing and protecting the skin. Meanwhile, an anti-oxidant complex with green tea extract works is powered by Active Stress Defense™ for maximum efficacy.
Active Stress Defense™ technology-enabled claims:
- Lightweight formula leaves skin feeling smooth and moisturized
- Non-nano, mineral-based broad-spectrum SPF 40+ sunscreen protects the skin from 98% of UV radiation
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals by over 50%1
- Blocks up to 59% of HEV (blue) light
- Contains a super-powered anti-oxidant complex with green tea extract; anti-oxidant activity is boosted by as much as 200%2
- In a clinical study after one day of use3
- 100% of users experienced almost a 40% increase in skin’s moisture levels in just 15 minutes
- 100% of users experienced an immediate reduction in water loss, with 90% maintaining the reduction for 8 hours, demonstrating an improvement in skin’s barrier function
Additional marketing claims available:
- Sustainably produced squalane and hyaluronic acid provide moisturization benefits while contributing to eco-conscious branding
- Naturally derived plankton extract delivers an even skin tone
- Skin-soothing bisabolol and allantoin calm sensitive skin
- Available untinted, or tinted to balance skin tone
- Non-nano, Chemical-sunscreen-free, Paraben-free, Fragrance-free, Cruelty