Protect & progress ☼ The makeup-skincare connection ☼ Better SPF
Simple routines, focus on hydration, eco-awareness Today’s ultra-informed consumers are setting aside underperforming CC creams in favor of cosmetics products that will call on skin care claims to do the heavy lifting, and keep an eye out for the environment in the process. Along with this shift comes the desire to protect against environmental aggressors — something backed by derms and other skin care professionals touting the benefits of a sun protection. To meet demand, CC creams have to go beyond correcting imperfections with a wash of color to improve skin texture over time and offer immediate benefits, like protection against UV and blue light. And if CC creams boast green ingredients — like botanical extracts — that’s even better. Consumer trend data from Mintel shows:
- Facial care brands in APAC are recognizing the consumer interest in more sustainable and natural products, leading to a spike in eco-friendly claims in the region.
- Eco responsibility has become a huge movement in the beauty and personal care industry. In facial skincare specifically, younger consumers are increasingly making purchase choices based on brands' sustainable credentials.
- Hydrating and brightening claims dominate, but eco claims show the fastest growth. As eco NPD accelerates, brands will need to be more disruptive to stand out.
- Hydration counts for makeup too: In China, 61% of female users of face makeup products are most interested in base products with hydrating claims.
- A desire for simpler facial skincare routines is gaining traction in Asia, driving multifunctional and ingredient-led innovation.
Consumers don’t want to choose between health & beauty and they are more knowledgeable than ever. A new generation of moisturizers and CC creams can boast added anti-oxidants, workhorse ingredients that protect and improve skin health, and a subtle tint that matches their complexion. Consider these ways that brands can adapt to meet the market:
- Blur everything.
"Skin-friendly NPD* can look beyond fast growing hydration claims," says Mintel in "A year of innovation in color cosmetics, 2022," and "standout innovations are promoting skin-friendly benefits, blurring the lines between digital/physical realities and reminding people that makeup usage is fun." With the right innovation behind a product, the universe of hybrid beauty is limitless.
- Reach your consumer.
The skin is the largest organ in the human body, and 50% of consumers expect their skin care routines to protect skin from the sun, "Brands can further appeal to women's interest in skin-friendly makeup by promoting antioxidant and anti-aging merits and suitability for sensitive skin," says Mintel.
One & Done's lightweight tone correction and total protection make it a high-efficacy complexion product that
works double-time to enhance both health and beauty. Lightweight and non-greasy, this nutrient-rich, multipurpose product evens skin tone naturally while moisturizing and protecting the skin. Meanwhile, an antioxidant complex with green tea extract works is powered by Original Active Stress Defense™ for maximum efficacy.
Original Active Stress Defense™ technology enabled claims::
- Patented lightweight formula leaves skin feeling smooth and moisturized
- Non-nano, mineral-based broad-spectrum SPF 40+ sunscreen protects the skin from 97%+ of UV radiation
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals by over 85%
- Protects against blue light (HEVL); tinted version blocks 59% of blue light.
- Contains a super-powered anti-oxidant complex with green tea extract; anti-oxidant activity is boosted by as much as 200%
Additional marketing claims available:
- In a clinical study after one day of use (1)
- 100% of users experienced almost a 40% increase in skin’s moisture levels in just 15 minutes
- 100% of users experienced an immediate reduction in water loss, with 90% maintaining the reduction for 8 hours, demonstrating an improvement in skin’s barrier function
- Contains two-molecular weight levels of well-known ingredient Hyaluronic Acid to moisturize not only on top of the skin, but within the skin as well
- Naturally derived plankton extract delivers an even skin tone (included at clinically-tested levels), while sustainably produced squalane provides moisturization benefits while contributing to eco-conscious branding
- Skin-soothing bisabolol and allantoin calm sensitive skin
- Available untinted, or tinted to balance skin tone
- Non-nano, Chemical-sunscreen-active-free, Paraben-free, Fragrance-free, Cruelty free