Color pop ☼ Skincare first ☼ UV protection
Consumers are seeking out products that help them look and feel good, and serving up a color pop alongside skin care claims can make self care feel great. At the same time, exposure to blue light during 2020 has shown a light on the need for environmental protection, and UV shielding can pair with moisturization for an all-star claims pair that helps consumers achieve a long-term glow. Consumer trend data from Mintel shows:
- The "lipstick effect" during troubled financial times has become widely known, and the Covid-19 pandemic has brought alongside it a growth in self care and wellness. “By highlighting the mood-boosting elements of cosmetics, the category can reach a wider array of consumers who may be dealing with various pandemic-related emotions.”
- With pinched pocketbooks, brands still need to adapt lip color to meet evolving needs. Brands should "innovate with lip care benefits by offering hybrid products, especially in the context of a lip care segment becoming increasingly multi-functional and format-diverse."
- UV protection can enhance a moisturizing claim: "As consumers become more aware about the impacts of sun damage, both aesthetically (e.g. wrinkle causing) and health-wise, adding sun protection claims on top of other benefits, such as moisturizing, helps bolster appeal while also streamlining routines."
- Innovation means that SPF-and-more can include color pops. “By adding various beauty-enhancing claims to suncare, the product will appeal to the multi-purpose buyer.”
As consumers continue to seek out color cosmetics products that help them express their individual styles (even when they're stuck at home), brands can offer up a fashion-forward lip color that expands and enhances existing makeup routines. Consider these methods for how brands can adapt to meet the market:
- Meet your customers where they are.
Just because masks are in doesn't mean lips are out. "Zoom meetings will give more reasons to purchase in this category, cushioning the impact of masks on the lip segment.” Unique benefits (like blue light protection) can further stand out in the busy hydrating lip color market and encourage meaningful purchases.
- Moisturize loud and proud.
Hit your claims set hard. “Create products that provide multiple benefits that protect against UV and visible light while also making skin healthier with beauty-enhancing benefits (e.g. moisturizing, anti-ageing),” says Mintel. "Hydration claims appeal to the 57% of female users of face base makeup products in China who agree that skin benefits are the most important qualities of face makeup."
Hydrating Lip Shield is a uniquely powerful, multi-functional, liquid lip treatment that provides rich hydration, masks imperfections, and protects the lips from environmental stressors that cause premature aging. This health-boosting gloss benefits from a patented technology that guards against UV rays and pollution while bolstering the anti-oxidant system for improved skin health. Featuring raspberry rose lip essential oil and sustainable squalane, this product meets consumer demand for products that use key botanicals and make compelling beauty claims, while changing the game by taking “color plus care” to new heights.
Active Stress Defense™ technology-enabled claims:
- Patented glossy fluid provides moisturization and youth-preservation benefits
- Non-nano, mineral-based broad-spectrum SPF 35+ sunscreen protects the skin from 98% of UV radiation
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals by over 93%
- Boosts anti-oxidant activity by as much as 200%
Additional marketing claims available:
- Sustainably produced squalane delivers moisturization benefits and provides lasting nourishment with continued product use
- A wrinkle-masking effect corrects imperfections on the surface of the lips
- Sweat-proof (40-minute water resistance)
- Available in three shades
- Non-nano, Chemical-sunscreen-free, Water-free, Paraben-free, Alcohol-free, Fragrance-free, Cruelty-free