Inclusive suncare ☼ Anti-aging ☼ Blue light
Inclusive suncare, Year-round SPF, Blue light The growth of mineral SPF in the clean and prestige beauty segments has highlighted the aesthetic challenges of zinc oxide-based sun care on darker skin tones, and the Black Lives Matter movement accelerated demand for inclusive sun care, which continues to ripple across the beauty industry. At the same time, more consumers are learning that wrinkles, fine lines, and dull, leathery skin can be caused by unhealthy exposure to environmental stressors like UV, pollution, and blue light. Through all of this, consumers are looking for brands to join the conversation and serve as both a model for inclusive behavior and a guide for how to live well. In skin care, this means strategies that include everyone and improve the health of the skin by protecting it from unnecessary damage. Consumer trend data from Mintel shows:
- Sunscreen is moving away from the beach. In the US, 70% of consumers use makeup with SPF regularly year-round.
- Yet, makeup and skincare products with SPF are not broadly accessible to everyone. 23% of Black US consumers state that they find it hard to find sunscreen that blends well with their skin tone.
- At the same time, in the US, 36% of consumers are interested in and willing to pay more for sunscreen made for specific skin tones.
- 70% of consumers are interested in trying topical product that protects the skin from blue light.
- 32% of consumers are interested in trying mineral-based sunscreens.
- In the US, 48% of consumers are interested in trying and willing to pay more for sun care products with added skincare benefits.
"Beauty goals" doesn't just mean a flawless finish. Beauty goals means looking good and feeling good. Beauty goals means natural, and it means cruelty-free. Beauty goals means “makes me feel good" and "makes me feel good about the decision to purchase. Beauty goals means "something I can be proud of." This evolution of the concept of beauty means that brands must make consumers feel included, emotionally and ethically satisfied, and, of course, aesthetically pleased with the outcome of their product choice. Consider these ways brands can adapt to meet the market:
- Consider everyone.
The increased demand for mineral-based products presents an opportunity for brands seeking to serve all consumers — something that was previously challenging, due to "ghosting" and poor aesthetics, particularly on darker skin tones, but made available thanks to innovation. The lack of sunscreen made specifically for darker skin tones "plays a role in Black consumers’ limited engagement in the category," says Mintel. "Although some brands have recently unveiled inclusive formulas for a wider range of skin tones, Black adults are still more likely than average to say that it’s hard to find a sunscreen that blends well with their skin tone, indicating that there’s room for improvement."
- Tackle blue light.
Brands can leverage consumer awareness of "technology impacted" skin to educate on blue light emitted outdoors as well as indoors. With consumers ever on the hunt for wellness, there is also an opportunity to educate consumers further on the extent to which external stressors work in tandem to negatively impact skin health.
Winner of Best Formulation in the Cosmopack Awards, Cosmopack North America 2022! Multi-cultural Magic featuring Bloom™ (tinted version) and Kleair™ (tinted/untinted) is a luxurious, medium-weight moisturizer that features two technologies in the Active Stress Defense™ suite — offering comprehensive protection against free radicals emitted by UVA, UVB, HEV (blue) light, and pollution, with an elegant finish suited for all skin tones. This product comes untinted or tinted, and the tinted version can double as a lightweight color corrector.
Kleair™ technology-enabled claims:
- Patented, medium-weight formula leaves skin feeling smooth and moisturized
- Non-nano, mineral-based broad-spectrum SPF 50+ sunscreen protects the skin from 98%+ of UV radiation
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals by over 85%
- Extremely high-transparency zinc oxide reduces the signs of early aging, such as fine lines, blotchiness, and an uneven skin appearance
- *If added* a super-powered anti-oxidant complex works in synergy with Kleair™ to boost anti-oxidant activity by as much as 200%
Bloom™-enabled claims (tinted only):
- Reduces up to 77% of blue light (HEVL) light-induced free radicals
- Plant-based rutin gives a synergistic boost to UV performance and free radical fighting in the skin
Additional marketing claims available:
- In a clinical study after one day of use (1):
•100% of users experienced over a 40% increase in skin’s moisture levels in just one hour
•100% of users experienced an immediate reduction in water loss, with 90% maintaining the reduction for 8 hours, demonstrating an improvement in skin’s barrier function.
- Sustainably produced squalane provides moisturization and anti-aging benefits while contributing to eco-conscious branding
- Vegetable glycerin (ISPO) and aloe vera deliver superior hydration to the skin
- Non-nano, Chemical-sunscreen-active-free, Silicone-free, Paraben-free, Fragrance-free, Cruelty-free