The more (functions) the merrier ☼ SPF-and-more ☼ Sheer coverage
A focus on skin health and protection is extending beyond skin care, hitting cosmetics categories. And as consumers look to streamline and simplify beauty routines — for the sake of their wallets, their time, and even their skin's health — that's moving protective, skin-friendly complexion products to the top of the must-buy list. At the same time, consumer concern about what's in beauty products extends beyond an ingredient's impact on skin as eco claims show fast growth. Consumer trend data from Mintel shows:
- 88% of US internet users who use skin protection products or services wear Makeup with SPF.
- At the same time, when shopping for sunscreen, consumers are most likely to emphasize the level of sun protection.
- Brands can further appeal to women's interest in skin-friendly makeup by promoting antioxidant and anti-ageing merits and suitability for sensitive skin.
- Unlike chemical sunscreen ingredients, sunscreen launches with mineral ingredients are on the rise in the US. Specifically, Mintel’s GNPD shows that 55% of US new suncare launches contained zinc oxide from November 2020-21, according to a 2022 report.
- Hydrating and brightening claims dominate, but eco claims show the fastest growth, according to Mintel.
Skin care to color cosmetics has evolved into more of a spectrum than two definitive categories. Skincare products are expected to beautify, and makeup is expected to
moisturize and protect in addition to providing the level of coverage desired. That leaves room for brands to educate on healthy skin habits that set consumers up for success in the long term. Consider these ways brands can adapt to meet the market:
- Embrace innovation
"Science and creativity fuel innovation within the cosmetics category as consumer expectations evolve," says Mintel. There is tremendous opportunity in the space between art and science — a space brands can embrace with innovation-led beauty products.
- Make it mineral.
Consumers aged 25-44 "over index for agreeing that mineral-based sunscreen works better than chemical sunscreen," according to Mintel. At the same time, mineral sunscreen can be the kick-off of a "clean" and eco-friendly product. "To stand out from the competition, some brands are incorporating clean beauty themes into their mineral sunscreen offerings."
This anhydrous primer is packed with powerful ingredients to deliver immediate beauty benefits—including instant line-blurring and wrinkle masking effects—while improving skin health in the long-term by preventing free radicals, protecting against pollution and UV radiation, and moisturizing the skin. This product comes tinted or untinted, meeting consumer demand for multi-functional, high-efficacy, hybrid beauty-skin care products that guide the path to a healthy glow.
Original Active Stress Defense™ technology-enabled claims:
- Patented, lightweight fluid instantly evens tone and masks fine lines and wrinkles while providing moisturization and youth-preserving benefits
- Non-nano, mineral-based broad-spectrum SPF 50 sunscreen protects the skin from 98% of UV radiation
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals by over 85%
- *If added* a super-powered anti-oxidant complex works in synergy with Active Stress Defense™ to boost anti-oxidant activity by as much as 200%
Additional marketing claims available:
- In a clinical study after one day of use (1)
- 100% of users experienced almost a 20% increase in skin’s moisture levels in just one hour
- 100% of users experienced an immediate reduction in water loss, with 90% maintaining the reduction for 8 hours, demonstrating an improvement in skin’s barrier function
- Made with >60% naturally derived ingredients
- Naturally derived, sustainably produced squalane provides moisturization while improving skin tone and texture with continued product use
- A wrinkle-masking effect corrects imperfections on the surface of the skin
- Available untinted, or tinted to balance skin tone
- Non-nano, Chemical-sunscreen-active-free, Water-free, Paraben-free, Alcohol-free, Fragrance-free, Cruelty-free