The more (functions) the merrier ☼ SPF-and-more ☼ Sheer coverage
A focus on skin health and protection is hitting cosmetics and other BPC markets in general, says Mintel. And as consumers look to streamline beauty routines, that's moving multi-functional complexion products to the top of he must-buy list. At the same time, the Covid-19 pandemic has highlighted the need for consumers to wear sunscreen, and accelerated awareness around blue light and pollution protection. Consumer trend data from Mintel shows
- Women want to look good but natural: “Face looks will remain focused on healthy skin and sheer coverage."
- “Mintel expects mineral sunscreen to upsurge market shares over the next five years” as more consumers flock to zinc oxide and titanium dioxide based SPF producs. “100% mineral sunscreens are on the rise. Consumers perceive mineral sunscreen to be safe for skin and environmentally friendly. New innovations have overcome mineral sunscreen's white cast and texture issues,” says Mintel.
- Consumers want to be protected against pollution: “Pollution concerns will intensify among younger consumers, made more acute by worsening global environmental conditions due to climate change.”
- There's room to grow: “Expand mineral UV protection claims beyond suncare to add more value to products such as foundation and facial care.”
- Hydration claims are an expectation and appeal to majority of consumers. "57% of female users of face base makeup products in China who agree that skin benefits (e.g. moisturisation, anti-ageing) are the most important qualities of face makeup.”
Skin care to color cosmetics has evolved into more of a spectrum than two definitive categories. Skin care products are expected to beautify, and makeup is expected to moisturize and protect in addition to providing sheer coverage. That leaves rooms for brands to educate on healthy skin habits that set consumers up for success in the long-term. Consider these ways brands can adapt to meet the market:
- Join the glow revolution.
Offer a primer that will give consumers a glow in both the short- and long-term: “Highlighters alone are not credited for today's glow. Proper skincare, primers, foundations, blush and glow-enhancing drops have created a true glow revolution. Consumers now have the ability to add a boost of radiance throughout multiple steps of their routine,” says Mintel.
- Make it mineral.
If it's SPF (which it should be), make it mineral. “Now is the time for brands to assess their current sunscreen ranges and lead the mineral sunscreen product offering, says Mintel. Get in front of the trend and lead with science to offer solid claims that consumers can get excited about.
This anhydrous primer is packed with powerful ingredients to deliver immediate beauty benefits—including instant line-blurring and wrinkle masking effects—while improving skin health in the long-term by preventing free radicals, protecting against pollution and UV radiation, and moisturizing the skin. This product comes tinted or untinted, meeting consumer demand for multi-functional, high-efficacy, hybrid beauty-skin care products that guide the path to a healthy glow.
Active Stress Defense™ technology-enabled claims:
- Patented, lightweight fluid instantly evens tone and masks fine lines and wrinkles while providing moisturization and youth-preserving benefits
- Non-nano, mineral-based broad-spectrum SPF 50 sunscreen protects the skin from 99% of UV radiation
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals by 85%1
- Boosts anti-oxidant activity by as much as 200%2
- In a clinical study after one day of use3
- 100% of users experienced almost a 20% increase in skin’s moisture levels in just one hour
- 100% of users experienced an immediate reduction in water loss, with 90% maintaining the reduction for 8 hours, demonstrating an improvement in skin’s barrier function
Additional marketing claims available:
- Made with >60% naturally derived ingredients
- Naturally derived, sustainably produced squalane provides moisturization while improving skin tone and texture with continued product use
- A wrinkle-masking effect corrects imperfections on the surface of the skin
- Available untinted, or tinted to balance skin tone
- Non-nano, Chemical-sunscreen-free, Water-free, Paraben-free, Alcohol-free, Fragrance-free, Cruelty-free