Daily Ritual Skin Perfecting Primer
“72% of women use BB and CC creams in their daily prep, but they still believe that primers give them a more professional look.”
–Mintel, Primer's role in the Chinese market is changing, November 2016
Apply as a primer under foundation
Apply as a lightweight CC cream for a natural look
CC Primers, Hybridization & Anti-Pollution
A July 2016 Mintel study shows that 72% of women use BB and CC creams in their daily prep, but they still believe that primers give them a more professional finish. This has led to the emergence of a new generation of products: BB and CC primers. This new hybrid product category is designed to combine the skin prep benefits of primers with the glamorous health and beauty benefits of CC creams. To be considered a CC primer, a product must offer multi-functional characteristics and compelling claims, and a successful CC primer will tap into other hot trends in color cosmetics, like anti-pollution and enhanced UV protection. Consumer trend data from Mintel shows:
50% of consumers who use BB and CC creams are reaching for primers when prepping for a big event, demonstrating a demand for hybrid products that meet all of consumers’ needs.
A 2017 report on sun protection highlights a shift in the way foundations and BB creams talk about UV protection, making it “more of a feature with a validated SPF value.”
Anti-pollution skin care is shaping up to be the biggest skin care trend of the year — again — as consumers become increasingly concerned about rising air pollution levels and the impact of pollution on complexion, texture, and tone.
Mintel’s “Airpocolypse Now” highlights the increased consumer awareness about specific pollutants, including PM2.5, PM10, ozone, and other gases.
Combined UV and pollution protection benefits are up from 3% in 2013, to almost 10% in 2016.
The anti-pollution trend presents a tremendous new growth opportunity for beauty brands. Add UV protection and instant beauty enhancements like line-blurring and wrinkle masking effects, and brands have a robust multi-functional beauty product that fits the rising CC primer category. Consider these growth opportunities for brands:
- NPD group reports that sales of makeup-related products with an SPF claim – and particularly products with SPF values in excess of SPF 30 – have enjoyed exceptional growth over the past two years.
- Increasingly, consumers are concerned about preventing and covering-up fine lines and wrinkles, and are looking for multi-functional products that can correct imperfections while providing other benefits.
- Brands can expand the purchases of loyal clients by dipping into the anti-pollution trend with a comprehensive environmental protection beauty product that meets consumers' SPF requirements while providing meaningful protection against environmental aggressors.
Patented anti-pollution and UV protection technology; Instant line-blurring; CC cream/primer texture
The Daily Ritual Skin Perfecting Primer is a CC primer unlike any other in efficacy and aesthetic. It is an anhydrous formula packed with powerful ingredients to deliver immediate beauty benefits—including instant line-blurring and wrinkle masking effects—while protecting against the damaging free radicals caused by pollution and UV radiation. This product meets consumer demand for multi-functional, high-efficacy hybrid beauty-skin care products.
Solésence technology-enabled claims:
- Patented, lightweight fluid instantly evens tone and masks fine lines and wrinkles while providing moisturization and youth-preserving benefits
- In a clinical study after one day of use1
- 100% of users experienced almost a 20% increase in skin’s moisture levels in just one hour
- 100% of users experienced an immediate reduction in water loss, with 90% maintaining the reduction for 8 hours, demonstrating an improvement in skin’s barrier function
- Broad-spectrum SPF 40+ sunscreen protects the skin from 99% of UV radiation
- Pollution Defense Technology reduces pollution induced free radicals by 85%2
- The first of its kind, Active Stress Defense Technology boosts anti-oxidant activity by as much as 200%3
Additional marketing claims available:
- Can be used under makeup to provide a long-lasting base, or as a lightweight foundation to provide a natural looking finish
- Sustainably produced squalane provides moisturization while also improving skin tone and texture with continued product use
- A wrinkle-masking effect corrects imperfections on the surface of the skin, providing the immediate beauty benefits that consumers want in a quick-out-the-door product
- Available tinted or untinted
(1) In-vivo clinical study conducted with 10 subjects
(2) Ex-vivo study using cigarette smoke as model for pollution when exposed to 1MED of UV, using porcine skin model
(3) In-vitro measure of antioxidant activity after being exposed to 2MED of UV
Customize this product by adding claims:
- Brightening/illuminating, anti-aging through clinical validation
- Long-lasting through clinical validation
- Added anti-oxidants