Skin health ☼ Multi-solutions ☼ Inclusivity
Skin care and color cosmetics are blurring more than ever before as the wellness movement booms and self-care routines expand. The vast cultural changes since 2020, including the lasting impact of both the COVID-19 pandemic and the Black Lives Matter movement, have shone a spotlight on the need for inclusive beauty products — including those with SPF — and have reaffirmed that health and wellness products need to work well and for everyone. At the same time, increased involvement in digital worlds has changed consumer needs and wants. Consumer trend data from Mintel and other industry sources shows:
- As skincare-makeup hybridization continues, daily use sun care is becoming part of daily use skin care. Consumers are more likely to use beauty and personal care products with SPF on a regular basis when compared to sunscreen, according to Mintel.
- In the US, 36% of consumers are interested in and willing to pay more for sunscreen made for specific skin tones. Additionally, 23% of Black US consumers state that they find it hard to find sunscreen that blends well with their skin tone."
- "Skin health continues to be top-of-mind for consumers, with 47% agreeing that they’re using skincare products more often" due to being "more concerned about their skin health/hygiene."
- "According to a study conducted by OnePoll in conjunction with CeraVe, two in five Americans agree that the COVID-19 pandemic prompted them to take their skin seriously — and ultimately begin a skincare routine due to a skin concern."
- As predicted in Mintel’s Skin Protection – US, 2020 Report and confirmed in the Suncare and Skin Protection - US - 2022 Report, concerns surrounding pollution, blue light, and a slew of other external factors (e.g. climate change, allergens) have fueled the demand for skin protection products with multiprotective benefits.
A thoughtfully crafted skin health product with comprehensive prevention claims will appeal to minimalist, beauty-focused, and health-conscious consumers alike. Derms and bloggers all stand behind environmental protection, with more consumers than ever jumping to include sun care in their skincare routines. Consider these methods for how brands can adapt to meet the market:
- Hit your skin health claims.
Position sun care as pivotal to skin health," says Mintel. Consumers are embracing year-round SPF, so providing the ideal balance of efficacy and aesthetics is key to winning over consumers. "Given the elevated level of importance being placed on skin health, category players that pivot their strategies to incorporate and promote more skin health benefits will see success."
- Show alignment with your consumer's digital lifestyle.
"47% of consumers don’t expect their digital reliance to decrease after COVID-19, an indication of the staying power of new digital behaviors established during the pandemic," says Mintel. Brands have the opportunity to show understanding by aligning a consumer's lifestyle with a product's claims set. "Incorporating blue light protection into sunscreen will give consumers another reason to wear sunscreen on a regular basis, especially since people are not going to reduce their exposure to screens anytime soon."
Beauty Drops Total Protection serum/cc cream is an ultra-lightweight daily skin protector designed to provide your brand with a clear, specific, best-in-class suite of must-have wellness and prevention benefits. Available in eighteen shades to match a range of skin tones, Beauty Drops goes far beyond the traditional CC cream "with SPF" to be a versatile product that offers broad-spectrum, mineral-based sun protection and a daily health boost via an anti-oxidant enhancement. Its short- and long-term beauty benefits make it a must-have in any cosmetic bag.
Original Active Stress Defense™ technology-enabled claims:
- Patented, feather-weight texture is ideal for morning, midday, or evening use
- Non-nano, mineral-based, broad-spectrum SPF 50+ sunscreen protects the skin from 98%+ of UV radiation
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals by over 85%
- Untinted version blocks more than 35% of blue light (HEVL); tinted versions may block significantly more blue light.
- *If added* a super-powered anti-oxidant complex works in synergy with Original Active Stress Defense™ to boost anti-oxidant activity by as much as 200%
Additional marketing claims available:
- 80-minute water resistance
- Available untinted, or tinted to balance skin tone; also available in 18 shades as a breathable foundation
- Allantoin, niacinamide, and bisabolol contribute to moisturization and skin-soothing
- Non-nano, Chemical-sunscreen-active-free, Paraben-free, Fragrance-free, Alcohol-free, and Cruelty-free