Clean beauty ☼ Total wellbeing ☼ SPF to impress
Clean beauty, total wellbeing, SPF to impress
Online mentions of 'clean beauty' have skyrocketed. First they jumped roughly 6,000% between 2015-18, and then during the Covid-19 pandemic, clean beauty and safety mentions increased in the US and around the world, with 95% of mentions being positive.” And conversations around clean, transparent, and safe beauty have steadily increased since. When it comes to combining this movement with other trends like health, wellness, and eco-ethical behavior, the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. Consumer trend data from Mintel shows:
- Beauty is a feel-good. In the UK, "64% of female buyers of makeup in the last 12 months indicate that they have used makeup to improve their mood/wellbeing."
- "The increased focus on skin health during COVID-19 has further driven women's interest in makeup products with skincare benefits, and in turn NPD."
- "Primer innovations which traditionally blur the boundaries between makeup and skincare are further meeting the consumer interest in hybrid makeup/skincare formulas, and in simpler makeup routines.
- In the UK, "31% of consumers have switched to multifunctional beauty and grooming products since the start of the pandemic.
Clean beauty, glowy skin, and 360-degree wellness for all are driving purchasing decisions. The expectation is that brands will make the right choices around their product claims and messaging. Brands can win by combining these conscious mega-trends in a product that matches consumers' ethics with a luxurious product aesthetic that highlights both the luxury and the necessity of a well- developed daytime facial skin
care product. Consider these methods for how brands can adapt to meet the market:
- Take a wholistic view of your whole consumer.
With consumers using hybrid products to streamline routines, give your product the ultimate purpose. Encourage consumers to make the most out of their feel-good makeup routine by adding in important and tangible skin health benefits. "Continue to educate consumers on ingredient purpose and product efficacy, cater to underserved facial skincare users with considerate NPD and personalization opportunities, while embracing the shift towards minimalism with holistic skin and makeup routines," says Mintel.
- Let your claims speak to your value.
Message your skin health benefits, and be loud and proud. "The challenge for brands is boosting sales as people turn to multi-use/hybrid products and in turn fewer products are purchased. Hybrid skincare/makeup and multiuse products can command a higher price but brands will need to be clear about added value benefits," says Mintel.
Velvet Drops is an ultra-lightweight daily skin moisturizer that delivers the wellness benefits of Beauty Drops but with silicone-free Kleair technology. Designed to provide your brand with a clear, specific, best-in-class suite of must-have wellness and prevention benefits, Velvet Drops is a versatile clean beauty product that can be positioned as a step in a morning beauty/wellness ritual, as a pre-workout protective shield, or a tinted base. With broad-spectrum, mineral- based sun protection, patented-pending pollution protection, and an antioxidant enhancement, each application is a daily health boost.
- Velvety, featherweight serum is light enough for oily skin and an ideal texture for morning or all day use.
- Non-nano, mineral-based, broad- spectrum SPF 50+ sunscreen protects the skin from 98%+ of UV radiation
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals
- Boosts anti-oxidant activity by as much as 200%
Additional marketing claims available:
- Silicone-free technology and 100% non- nano mineral sunscreen actives contribute to clean and green product positioning
- 40-minute water resistance
- Non-nano, Chemical-sunscreen-free, Water-free, Paraben-free, Alcohol-free, Fragrance-free, Cruelty-free