Clean beauty ☼ Total wellbeing ☼ SPF to impress
Online mentions of 'clean beauty' have skyrocketed. First they jumped roughly 6,000% between 2015-18, and then during the Covid-19 pandemic, clean beauty and safety mentions increased in the US and around the world, with 95% of mentions being positive.” And when it comes to combining this movement with other trends like health, wellness, and eco-ethical behavior, the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. Consumer trend data from Mintel shows:
- "[Y]ounger adults view skincare as a reflection of their overall health, as they are more willing than their older counterparts to adjust their lifestyle to benefit their facial skin.”
- A renewed focus on sun protection will resonate with consumers on their path to total body health. 41% of US consumers consider UV exposure to be a top factor impacting the appearance of the skin. Yet in China, 52% of facial sunscreen users are concerned that products offer poor protection."
- "Roughly 50% of consumers expect their skincare routine to protect them from the sun" and "protection against both indoor and outdoor factors that may have an impact on skin’s appearance will see increased appeal.”
- In 2020, global wellness has accelerated within the clean beauty narrative: In South Korea, 46% of adults are more highly prioritizing the environment since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, and in Brazil, 46% of adults identified caring for the environment as a higher priority now compared to pre-COVID-19.
- Clean beauty and safety mentions have increased both in the US and globally during the pandemic, with a 28% daily trend increase in the US and 95.1% of mentions being positive, and a 56% daily trend increase around the world, with 95.3% of mentions being positive.
Clean beauty, glowy skin, and 360-degree wellness are driving purchasing decisions, and brands can win by combining these mega-trends in a product that matches consumers' ethics with a luxurious product aesthetic that highlights the luxury of a well-developed daytime facial skin care product. Consider these methods for how brands can adapt to meet the market:
- Give consumers a glow they can feel good about.
There's an opportunity to add value to your customers' skin care and self-care routines with a highly efficacious SPF-and-more product. “Cosmetic brands that illustrate wellness-focused stories will separate themselves from the masses and attract consumers looking to take a 360-degree approach to health in their lives.”
- Blend eco-friendly with anti-pollution.
Mintel advises that "consumers are looking to protect against the harmful health effects of air pollution. In particular, younger consumers seek to purchase skincare products with pollution protection.” Pollution concerns are made more acute by worsening global environmental conditions due to climate change, says Mintel.
- Let science drive your product.
Messaging is important, and consumers are turning to skin care brands who can back up their claims with science: “In the UK 54% of women* trust products and ingredients created by scientists”
Velvet Drops is an ultra-lightweight daily skin moisturizer that delivers the wellness benefits of Beauty Drops but with a twist: silicone-free technology. Designed to provide your brand with a clear, specific, best-in-class suite of must-have wellness and prevention benefits, Velvet Drops is a versatile clean beauty product that can be positioned as a step in a morning beauty/wellness ritual or as a pre-workout protective shield. With broad-spectrum, mineral-based sun protection, patented pollution and blue light protection, and an anti-oxidant enhancement, each application is a daily health boost.
Silicone-Free Active Stress Defense™ technology-enabled claims:
- Velvety, featherweight serum is an ideal texture for morning or evening use
- Non-nano, mineral-based, broad-spectrum SPF 50+ sunscreen protects the skin from 99% of UV radiation
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals
- Blocks more than 35% of blue light (HEVL)
- Boosts anti-oxidant activity by as much as 200%
Additional marketing claims available:
- Silicone-free technology and 100% non-nano mineral sunscreen actives contribute to clean and green product positioning
- Sweat-proof: 40-minute water resistance
- Paraben-free, fragrance-free, and cruelty-free