Clean girl aesthetic ☼ Convenience ☼ Skin health
The "clean girl aesthetic" trend of 2021 and 2022 — which has garnered tens of millions of views— is built around natural, healthy-looking skin. At the same time, consumers are seeking out convenient ways to use and apply skin care, and seeking out SPF as part of their new normal. All of these trends converge at the corner of prevention and skin health, where an all-star product can take stage and shine. Consumer trend data from Mintel shows:
- The desire for convenience and added health benefits in sun care resonates across regions.
- Consumers taking more proactive approaches to facial care will increase. Skin will be recognized as an active organ, working in harmony with its ecosystem to protect the body from external aggressors.
- Facial care brands in APAC are recognizing the consumer interest in more sustainable and natural products, leading to a spike in eco-friendly claims.
- In the UK 37% of adults who have changed their beauty/grooming routines plan to embrace a more natural look once COVID-19 is no longer a concern.
- Innovations are continuing to meet the consumer interest in corporate social responsibility and inclusivity. Brands need to be authentic when supporting different causes.
"The skin care category stayed strong, even through challenging times, and clean beauty was no exception. "'Clean girl' began as a makeup trend created by TikTok influencer @xolizahbeauty in 2021 to create the look of 'those girls who always look clean' and 'never ever look like they're wearing too much makeup'. While essentially it's a new way to describe the no makeup makeup look, it also encapsulated an entire aesthetic and lifestyle," says Mintel. Consider these ways brands can adapt to meet the market:
- Offer universal products for universal appeal while embracing the 'Clean Girl' aesthetic.
Universal, genderless products that lead with skin health can appeal to a variety of consumers. Meanwhile, embracing the "clean girl" aesthetic can appeal to a specific set of trend-driven buyers. "The #CleanGirlMakeUp hashtag has amassed over 90.5 million views on TikTok, as of June 2021. This has placed a spotlight on the significance of skincare to overall appearance. Tapping into the trend can give brands a new way to describe an existing trend, while accessing a consumer striving to achieve an entire lifestyle and not just a look," says Mintel.
- Make it easy.
"Helping consumers better understand what to look out for in terms of specifications (eg UV or SPF rating) and how to effectively apply/reapply sunscreen will benefit brands in the long run," says Mintel. Once the education is there, brands can "win over shoppers who are wary of barriers to easy sunscreen application by tapping into hybrid trends and aligning sun protection as the final step in a skincare regimen."
Protective Lip Balm pulls double-duty, protecting the skin with proprietary Kleair technology, a mineral-based, non-nano, broad-spectrum UV protection sunscreen that applies sheer to skin, leaving no residue. Protective Lip Balm also contains naturally-derived jojoba oil, which delivers moisturization benefits and contributes to improvement in skin barrier function, and anti-irritant allantoin, which helps soothe the skin. The ultimate clean SPF lip balm for universal, on-the-go application.
Kleair™ enabled claims:
- Non-nano, mineral-based broad-spectrum SPF 30+ sunscreen protects the skin from 97% of UV radiation
- Pollution Defense Technology reduces pollution-induced free radicals by 85%
- Kleair™ Technology boosts antioxidant activity by as much as 200%
Additional marketing claims available:
- Patented universal lip balm comes tinted or untinted
- Naturally derived jojoba oil provides moisturization and contributes to improvement in skin barrier function
- Contains anti-irritant allantoin to help soothe skin
- Chemical-sunscreen-free, Paraben-free, PEG-free, Phenoxyethanol-free, Fragrance-free, and Cruelty-free