Lip is back ☼ All-mineral, all the time ☼ Multi-functional skin heroes
Lip is back, all-mineral all the time, multi-functional skin heroes
As a short-term pick-me-up with a long view, an innovative, multi-functional, feel-good product could be the ideal remedy for the next self-care moment. Consumers are seeking for their skin to be healthy and protected from crown to chin — including the lips. At the same time, since 2020 we have seen an increase in consumer awareness around the need for SPF, with half of consumers now expecting skin care routines to protect them from the sun. And an creased focus on sustainability means that multi-benefit is must-have. Consumer trend data from Mintel and SPATE shows:
- Mineral sunscreen is the trend "driving the biggest positive change in search volume within the category," according to SPATE. Average monthly search volume for "mineral sunscreen" increased 33.3% YOY in 2022 compared to 2021
- "Consumers are interested in "multi-use and skin-friendly makeup" and "hydrating claims are fast-growing, especially in North America," says Mintel.
- While lip color took a dip in 2020 and 2021, it has recently rebounded. Searches for "nude lipstick" are up 61.6% YOY (May 2021 to Apr 2022 vs. May 2020 to Apr 2021), per SPATE. At the same time, bold shades are in, with "Viva Magenta" as the PANTONE Color of the Year 2023.
- "Promoting hero skincare ingredients remains on trend" and consumers seek for their makeup to pull double-duty with their skin care.
The desire to look and feel good and the need for health-forward products can come together in an intuitive yet game-changing SPF and blue light protection product. “There is a gap in the market for other skincare claims to expand, especially antiaging ones, given the renowned aging consequences of sun exposure," says Mintel.
Combine fun and/or universal pigments with UV protection.
As the SPATE April 2022 report calls out: "Following the skincare boom of 2020 when consumers were searching for and learning about skincare, many learned that sun exposure is one of the key contributors to aging. In the subsequent months, searches for sun protection have risen and sustained growth — even beyond the typical seasonal peaks." Brands can make this skin care boost fun with a pop of color, or universal with a subtle or nude pigment.
Do more with your product.
One of SPATE's top 3 areas of predicted growth is "Multi-tasking SPF over regular sunscreen." While multi-functionality has been trending for a while, its acceleration comes alongside calls for sustainable practices such as doing more with less.
Lip oil, in Nude or Bold, is a treat for the skin: a smooth, lightweight oil texture that delivers moisture and protection to keep lips looking their best in both the short- and the long-term. Kleair™ technology facilitates the sheer, luxurious application of non-nano mineral sunscreen actives so consumers don't have to choose between what feels best, what looks best, and what ingredients they most prefer. With pollution and blue light protection, calming bisabolol, sustainably produced squalane for moisturization, and ECOCert meadowfoam, consumers will feel great every time they reach to reapply. Comes in Nude or Bold, so that brands -- or consumers -- can choose their own adventure. (Note: Nude Lip Oil is not available through our Beauty Now Program.)
Kleair™ enabled claims:
- Patented soft lip oil, delivered in a universal Nude tint or in Bold for a pop of color
- Non-nano, mineral-based, broad-spectrum SPF 40+ sunscreen protects the skin from 97%+ of UV radiation
- Prevents premature skin aging and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals
- Boosts anti-oxidants by up to 200%
Additional marketing claims available:
- Silicone-free technology, 100% non-nano mineral sunscreen actives, ECOCert/COSMOS approved meadowfoam seed oil, and water-free formula contribute to clean and green product positioning
- Contains calming/soothing bisabolol
- Sustainably produced and naturally-derived squalane provides natural moisturization and anti-aging benefits while contributing to eco-conscious branding
- Protects against HEV (blue) light
- Contains natural oils of bergamot fruit and orange peel
- Water-free, to help protect our water
- Non-nano, paraben-free, chemical-sunscreen-active-free, phyenoxyethonol-free, PEG-free, and cruelty-free