Ingredient aficionados ☼ Earth lovers ☼ Ethical shoppers
As consumers clamor for "safe" everything, clean beauty is mainstreaming and becoming the go-to for savvy buyers. And as skinfluencers take over the digital space — and the digital space continues to dominate the physical space — beauty and personal care users are learning their products inside and out with an intimate knowledge of ingredients they want and ones they don't. In products with SPF, that makes mineral a must-have, and key skin health boosters can drive purchasing decisions. Data from Mintel says:
- 42% of Beauty & Personal Care users "are paying more attention to ingredients than they were a year ago. This number is forecast to increase as COVID-19 has accelerated concern surrounding shelf stability and sanitation across CPG categories."
- The earth matters: "33% of adults aged 18-44 agreeing that they’d be willing to pay more for products that use sustainable ingredients."
- "The clean movement is shaping the beauty and personal care industry as adults become more conscientious of ingredients and seek out what is considered safe for themselves and the planet. However, efficacy is top-of-mind; with nearly half of adults researching ingredients to better understand the effectiveness of products."
- Science aids the ingredients like hyaluronic acid, which are now household names: "Retinol, hyaluronic acid and glycolic acid benefit from having an established history filled with clinical trials and evidence to support claims."
More than ever, safety is a must-have —and consumers are thinking about both the self and the earth impact, in what Mintel is calling a "beauty eco-lution" centered on new priorities of safety and ethics."As consumers emerge from COVID-19 confinement, the relationship to their surroundings has shifted, forcing them to reevaluate purchase priorities with eco-ethical considerations driving more conscious purchases," says Mintel. "Safety and efficacy go hand-in-hand as consumers look to the concept of total protection regardless of where they live." Likewise, Accenture predicts "two waves" of sustainability interest following the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Be functional & familiar.
Gone — for now, anyway — are the days where consumers impulse-buy a skin care product without learning about its safety and efficacy, both for themselves as well as for the world around them. "Gain new customers with functional ingredients" like hyaluronic acid, says Mintel. Similarly, innovating around known, trusted, "clean" concepts and ingredients — like anti-oxidants and minerals — will make consumers feel confident about their purchase.
- Make safety a given.
Brands demand safety, and consumer trust is flagging. "Brands that 'broadcast' their stringent safety guidelines will instill confidence and attract new customers seeking assurance in their desire to reconnect with retail experiences," says Mintel.
Work & Play Eco-conscious SPF 50+ utilizes two earth-friendly patented technologies to combat blue light and UV, keeping your skin healthy and glowing no matter where you are in your daily routine. Meeting consumers where they are — at the corner of sunshine and screen time — Work + Play is packed with eco-conscious attributes — including naturally-derived and sustainably produced ingredients — alongside moisturization heroes like hyaluronic acid. Silicone-free Kleair™ technology delivers all-mineral, non-nano broad-spectrum SPF 50+ sun protection and pollution defense to all skin tones to keep the skin fully protected while plant-based Bloom™ works through anti-oxidant power to keep blue light at bay.
Kleair™ enabled claims:
- Patented, medium weight fluid instantly evens skin tone and hides fine lines and wrinkles
- Non-nano, mineral-based broad spectrum SPF 50+ sunscreen protects the skin from 99% of UV radiation
- Pollution Defense Technology reduces pollution-induced free radicals by 85%
- Boosts antioxidant activity by as much as 200%
Bloom™ enabled claims:
- Reduces up to 77% of blue light (HEVL)
- Plant-based rutin gives a synergistic boost toUV performance and free radical fighting in the skin
Additional marketing claims available:
- Contains two molecular weight levels of well-known ingredient hero Hyaluronic Acid to help moisturize not only topically on the skin, but within the skin as well
- Naturally derived, sustainably produced squalane provides moisturization and anti-aging benefits while contributing to clean and eco-conscious branding; naturally derived, sustainable, and organic jojoba oil offers moisturization benefits
- Contains other naturally derived ingredients including grape seed extract, green tea extract, and bisabolol
- 80-minute water resistance
- Contains anti-irritant ingredient allantoin
- Paraben-free, PEG-free, Phenoxyethanol Free, Fragrance-free, and Cruelty-free