Indoor/Outdoor fitness ☼ Total protection ☼ Look good to feel good
2020 has tested — and strengthened — wellness commitments as consumers have had to be flexible in order to stay flexible (and fit). Shifting to outdoor yoga classes, exercise in the park, and on-screen HIIT classes has also meant a shift in skin care requirements as more consumers seek out SPF and blue light protection. At the same time, consumers are learning that moving their bodies and caring for their skin not only helps them look good, but also helps them feel good. And while the state of things is temporary, new adoptions of health and wellness routines are expected to stick around as long as they feel right. Consumer trend data from Mintel shows:
- 53% of US consumers say that, there has been no change in their prioritization of exercise now compared to before the Covid-19 pandemic.
- “Mintel’s Wellbeing Trend Driver explains that consumers consider being physically active as vital to leading a healthy lifestyle. Covid-19 reinforced this by forcing people to rethink how to keep physically fit from home.”
- Instead of covering up skin imperfections through makeup, some consumers prefer to use products designed to address and prevent skin imperfections. “45% of South Koreans* aged 18+ take a preventative approach to beauty and skincare (ie using SPF).” Suncare has become more widely discussed in recent months, with US social media mentions of suncare and SPF increasing 71%.
- “European consumers seek new, viable, tech-driven multi-solutions with 54% of German women interested in dual sun and pollution protection products.”
- Portable is a plus: When asked if consumers have used, or are interested in trying products designed to be used on-the-go, 40% say they have used and would use again, and 28% say they have not used, but are interested. In Brazil, "29% of adults show interest in using skincare products in stick formats."
As consumers try to get and stay healthy, they will turn to brands that are aligned in this mission. Protection during exercise no longer means SPF, it means broadspectrum UVA and UVB protection, pollution protection, and blue light protection. At the same time, the emphasis on convenience and a hygienic application cannot be overstated. Consider these methods for how brands can adapt to meet the market:
- Get hands-free.
Today's hygienic, touch-free applicator is tomorrow's on-the-go stick. Tap into an experience that is positively perfect while health and convenience are top-of-mind for busy consumers. At the same time, "While niche, stick formats are booming, specialising and stressing convenience. Solid sticks are also well-placed to tap into eco trends (eg waterless, pack-free merits).”
- Get active.
Mintel's July 2020 report A year of innovation in suncare notes: “A testament to the longevity and success of Mintel's 2017 BPC Trend Active Beauty is the continued emergence of products that cater to the skincare needs of those who exercise.” For the modern consumer, that means protection against UVA and UVB as well as blue light.
Active beauty meets complete versatility with this unisex, protective and renewing stick that’s strong enough to provide total environmental protection while keeping pace with even the toughest workout. This silky, non-irritating formula spreads evenly on the skin and is designed specifically for use all over the face — including the delicate area around the eyes and mouth. Easy-carry an a hygienic, touch-free application makes this SPF-and-more stick the perfect workout buddy.
Active Stress Defense™ technology-enabled claims:
- Gentle, non-greasy moisturizing stick designed for use on face, including the delicate area around the eyes and mouth
- Non-nano, mineral-based broad-spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen protects the skin from 97% of UV radiation
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals by 85%
- Protects against HEV (blue) light and IR
- Boosts anti-oxidant activity by as much as 200%
Additional marketing claims available:
- Non-nano, chemical-sunscreen-free, parabenfree, alcohol-free, fragrance-free, cruelty-free