SPF touch-ups ☼ Glow on-the-go ☼ Hands-free everything
Whether consumers are going full-faced or bare-faced, they are seeking to keep their look for the day. But a morning routine alone can’t sustain a look through the evening, and consumers are looking to touch up
midday with fast, convenient products that feel like a mini-treat. At the same time, half of skincare users in the US expect their skincare routines to protect them from the sun. Setting powders that offer UV protection, remove excess oil, and add radiance can fill this hybrid makeup/skincare space to help consumers glow all day — after a workout, on-the-go, or before a big event — without messing up makeup. Consumer data from Mintel shows:
- In the US, 50% of skin care users expect their skincare routines to protect them from the sun.
- Meanwhile, 33% of adults who use skin protection products are willing to pay more for products with added skincare benefits.
- Multifunctional NPD can appeal to the consumer desire for simpler BPC routines.
- Hybrid makeup/skincare and multi-use lines can garner greater interest by emphasizing convenience/simplicity.
- Standout makeup/skincare NPD often promotes the use of hero hydrating ingredients and the ability to reveal glowing skin.
With consumers embracing skin health, "there are opportunities to combine sun care and skin care," says Mintel. "A healthy glow can be achieved without the damage of the sun's rays, and sun protection can help boost skin appearance." By offering a product that maximizes a morning makeup routine and saves time with a quick application, brands can tap into consumers' desire for glowing skin with their need for SPF and an easy way to reapply. Consider these methods for how brands can adapt to meet the market:
- Make sun care easy.
"Win over shoppers who are wary of barriers to easy sunscreen application by tapping into hybrid trends and aligning sun protection as the final step in a skincare regimen," says Mintel. Consumer sentiment around sun care is improving, and brands can help encourage sun safe behavior through convenient, thoughtful products. "Make reapplication a breeze with convenient, on-the-go packaging and formulas that pair well with makeup."
- Multi-use, but make it thought.
Hybrid beauty and multi-use products have become part of the norm — and "hybrid makeup/skincare and multi-use makeup formats can garner greater interest by aligning with a shift towards simpler and more sustainable BPC routines that require fewer products," says Mintel. But to succeed, brands need to "be clear about added value benefits." Align the benefits and use cases for each new product with a consumer's lifestyle.
Glow All Day Setting Powder is a loose powder that helps mattify the skin to control excess oil and shine while protecting the skin with mineral-based, broad-spectrum environmental protection. Glow All Day offers all of the immediate beauty benefits of a finishing powder — silky application, immediate mattifying, line blurring and wrinkle masking, and velvet-touch effect —with all of the sun protection benefits of a traditional high-strength sunscreen, making it ideal for midday touch-ups and hygienic, on-the-go use.
Active Stress Defense™ Technology Platform-enabled claims:
- Silky, lightweight, loose powder for the face and décolletage gives a velvet-touch effect and delivers a translucent finish
- Non-nano, mineral-based, broad-spectrum SPF 30+ sunscreen blocks 97% of UV radiation without an unwanted “ghosting” effect
- Reduces pollution-induced free radicals by 85%
- *If added* a super-powered anti-oxidant complex works in synergy with Active Stress Defense™ to boost anti-oxidant activity by as much as 200%
Additional marketing claims available:
- Helps mattify the skin to control excess skin oil and shine
- When used as a setting powder, extends the wear of other makeup products
- Contains anti-inflammatory benefits and offers a soothing effect to the skin, making it ideal for a post-workout or active beauty product positioning
- Non-nano, Chemical-sunscreen-active-free, Paraben-free, Fragrance-free, and Cruelty-free